Skip to content
Today History -31 March 2019
Important events of March 31
- 1774 – Postal service started in India, opening the first post office.
- 1867 – A prayer society was established in Mumbai.
- 1870 – A black citizen voted for the first time in America.
- 1889 – Paris’s famous Eiffel Tower is officially opened
- 1917 – America bought Danish West Indies for 25 million dollars and named him Virgin Island.
- 1921 – Royal Australia Air Force was established
- 1946 – The first time voting was held in Greece after World War II.
- 1959 – Tibetan religious leader Dalai Lama arrives in India’s border with a 15-day trek from Lhasa, the capital of Tibet. India gave them political asylum.
- 1964 – Electric Tram last ran in Mumbai.
- 1966 – Soviet Russia launches the first Chandrayaan Luna 10.
- 1979 – Malta announces independence from Britain.
- 1983 – 5000 people die in a devastating earthquake in Popayan, Colombia’s city.
- 1986 – All 167 passengers aboard a plane crash of Mexico Aircraft 940 have died.
- 1990 – About 70 thousand people were brought to the streets in London against poll tax.
- 1990 – Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar was given the highest civilian honor Bharat Ratna posthumously.
- 1997 – Waslew Clarke was appointed new NATO military commander.
- 1998 – Elected members of the UNESCO draft Drafting Committee for India and China Inter-Governmental Conference on Cultural Policies.
- 2000 – 22 years later, the Isu volcano re-activated near the tooth in northern Rakhiyu island of Japan.
- 2001 – Police runs for the arrest of Milosewich, former Yugoslavia president
- 2001 – Detained in his own home, European Ministers declared the Kyoto Treaty alive.
- 2005 – United Nations has stopped supplying grain to North Korea
- 2007 – Michael Falps has achieved six gold in the world swimming championship.
- 2008 – Krishna Sobti was declared the Kya Birla Foundation’s ‘Vyas Samman’ of the year 2007.
- 2008 – Revathi Menon was awarded ‘Dayavati Modi Stree Shakti Samman, 2007’
- 2008 – Twelve people were killed in a bomb blast near Pak Air Force bus.
- 2011- According to the latest census data, India’s population has increased to 121 crore (1 billion 21 million), which is 17.64 percent more than the calculation done ten years ago.
Born on 31st March
- 1504 – Guru Angad Dev, Second Guru of the Sikhs
- 1860 – Rama Shankar Vyas – One of the finest writers of Hindi.
- 1934 – Kamala Das – Famous Writer of English and Malayalam
- 1938 – Sheela Dikshit – the famous woman politician of India and the former Chief Minister of Delhi.
- 1945 – Meira Kumar, Famous Politician, First Lady Lok Sabha Speaker
- 1987 – Koneiro Humpi, Indian Grandmaster Chess
Died on March 31
- 1727 – Isaac Isaac, the great physicist, died in London at the age of 84.
- 1930 – Shyamji Krishna Verma, famous freedom fighter and writer
- 1931 – Purnsingh – one of India’s distinctive essayists.
- 1972 – Famous Indian actress Meena Kumari passes away
- 2002 – Motu uran, Indian women activist
- 2009 – Raul Alfonsin – President of Argentina.
Important Opportunities and Celebrations of March 31
- Mother Karma Devi Jayanti
- Guru Shriiand Dev Jayanti (as of date).
- Mrs. Anandi Gopal Joshi Jayanti
- Mrs. Sheila Dikshit Jayanti
- Finishing the financial accounting year.