Skip to content
Today History -20 March 2019
Important events of 20th March
- 1602 – United Dutch East India Company was established.
- 1739 – Nadir Shah captured the Delhi Sultanate. Peacock steals the throne of the throne and he looted for two months in Delhi.
- 1814 – Prince William Friedrich becomes the ruler of the Netherlands.
- 1861 – Argentina’s Mendoña city completely devastated due to powerful earthquake
- 1904 – C.F. Andrews came to India to join the freedom movement with Mahatma Gandhi.
- 1916 – Albert Einstein’s book General Theory of Ritalivli was published.
- 1920 – First flight between London and South Africa started.
- 1956 – Tunisia gets freedom from France
- 1956 – The Soviet Union conducted a nuclear test.
- 1964 – European Species Reichers Organization was established.
- 1966 – Football World Cup stolen for an exhibition at the Central Hall of London Westminster. Its price was thirty thousand pounds.
- 1969 – US President Nixon announces the end of the Vietnam War in the year 1970
- 1977 – Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was defeated in the Lok Sabha election.
- 1981 – Former Argentine President Isabel Perón has been sentenced to eight years in prison.
- 1982 – France conducted a nuclear test.
- 1987 – Food and Drug Administration Approves Anti Aids Medicine AZT This was the first drug approved by the U.S. government for the treatment of AIDS.
- 1990 – Namibia gained independence from the South African regime of 75 years and independence was announced in midnight.
- 1991 – Begum Khaleda Zia elected President of Bangladesh
- 1995 – 12 people have died and 4700 injured in the leak of poison gas in the underground railway route in Tokyo.
- 2002 – Prime Minister of Nepal, Sher Bahadur Deuba, arrives in India on a 6-day visit.
- 2002 – Suspended from Zimbabwe Commonwealth
- 2003 – The US launched the attack on Iraq.
- 2006 – External Affairs Minister of Afghanistan claimed that Osama bin Laden is in Pakistan.
- 2009 – Justice Chandramouli Kumar Prasad is appointed Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court.
Born on March 20
- 1782 – Colonel Todd – British officer and historian, who is credited with paving the way for the history of Rajasthan.
- 1966 – National Film Award-winning singer Alka Yagnik was born in Kolkata.
- 1973 – Arjun Atwal – Indian first golfer.
- 1987 – Kangana Ranaut, Indian actress.
- 1615 – Dara Shikoh – Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan and Mumtaz were the eldest son of the palace.
Death on March 20
- 1351 – Sultan of Delhi, Muhammad bin Tughluq, died.
- 1727 – Isaac Newton – The great mathematician, physicist, astronomer and philosopher.
- 1943 – S. Satyamurthy – was the revolutionary leader of India.
- 1943 – Shashi Bhushan Rath – ‘Father of Oriya Journalism’ and freedom fighter
- 1970 – Jaipal Singh – One of the best players of Indian hockey.
- 1972 – Premnath Dogra – was a leader of Jammu and Kashmir.
- 1995 – Rohit Mehta – Famous literary, thinker, writer, philosopher, commentator and freedom fighter
- 1999 – Legendary British abstract painter Patrick Heron dies.
- 2008 – Sobhan Babu, Indian actor.
- 2011 – Bob Cristo – actress of Indian films.
- 2014 – Khushwant Singh – Famous reporter, writer, novelist and historian of India
- 2015 – Malcolm Fraser – Former Prime Minister of Australia
Important Opportunities and Celebrations of March 20
- Holika Combustion (after Bhadra)
- Hazrat Ali Jayanti (also on Thursday).
- World Guerrilla Day