Skip to content
Today History -14 March 2019
Important events of 14th March
- 1647 – Bavaria, Colon, France and Sweden sign a ceasefire after 30 years of war.
- 1653 – The Dutch commander Johann van Gallen defeated the British fleet in the Anglo-Dutch war.
- 1794 – Eli Whitney patented a cotton gin machine which proved to be a great revolutionary for the American cotton industry.
- 1912 – King Vittorio Emmanuel III of Italy was injured in a fatal attack.
- 1914 – Serbia and Turkey sign peace agreement
- 1926 – 248 people died and 93 were injured in train accident in Latin American country Costa Rica.
- 1931 – India’s first speaking film, AlamAra, was performed in Bombay (now in Mumbai).
- 1954 – Dean Bean Fu War began, which determined the future of encroachment troops in France in India and China.
- 1955 – Rajkumar Mahendra becomes the King of Nepal.
- 1960 – A world present in Cheshire, UK, made a world record by linking an American satellite located 407,000 miles away in space.
- 1965 – Israeli Cabinet agreed to restore diplomatic relations with Western Germany.
- 1983 – OPEC group of oil producing countries cut oil prices for the first time in 23 years.
- 1987 – After the Bloodless Soldier Revolution in Fiji, the government’s hand was overturned.
- 1988 – The special day ‘Pie de’ was celebrated for the first time for mathematical lovers.
- 1989 – F. W. D. in place of Peter Botha by South African National Party Clark was made President
- 1990 – Mrs. Artha Pascal Trail becomes the first female president of Haiti.
- 1993 – Australian batsman Ricky Ponting plays two centuries for Tasmania at the age of 18.
- 1998 – Sonia Gandhi becomes the first Congress President.
- 1999 – Carlos Moya of Spain becomes the world’s number one tennis player.
- 2000 – Mohammed Mustafa Merro became the new Prime Minister of Syria.
- 2001 – United States extends sanctions on Iran
- 2001 – Rastwita Mamedonu appointed the acting Prime Minister of Fiji.
- 2002 – The signatory to the treaty in Serbia and Yugoslavia, the army penetrated into the Gaza Strip.
- 2004 – Amendment to the Constitution to provide legal recognition to private property in China.
- 2007 – Agreement between Kargil and Scurdu is to start a bus service in Indo-Pakistan.
- 2008 – Victory Group acquires Britain’s famous switchgear manufacturer Craig and Derricker.
- 2008 – Asif Ali Zardari, co-chairman of the Pakistan People’s Party, was acquitted of charges of rape in Pakistan.
Born on 14th March
- 1833 – Hobbes Taylor First Dentist was born.
- 1879 – Albert Einstein, the wealthy scientist who gave the theory of relativity to the world, was born in a middle-class family of Ulm city in Germany.
- 1913 – S. Of Pottakkakt, the famous Malayalam writer.
- 1965 – Indian film actor Amir Khan was born. Aamir played the role of a child artist for the first time in the memoirs’ procession film.
Death on 14th March
- 1883 – Karl Marx was a famous German philosopher, economist and scientist of scientific socialism.
- 1963 – Janarayan Vyas, the Chief Freedom Fighter of India, former Chief Minister of Rajasthan and famous politician of ‘Indian National Congress’.
- 2018 – British physicist and cosmologist Stephen Hawking dies at the age of 76.
Important occasions and festivals of March 14
- Sant Dadudial Jayanti
- Actor Amir Khan Birthday
- Shri Jainarayan Vyas Pujaya Day
- International Day of Action for Rivers 2019 and Pie Day.