Skip to content
History -28 February 2019
Important events of February 28
- 1522 – In Sweden, the public started the struggle against Denmark’s supremacy.
- 1767 – King Takesin became King of Thailand and made Thoon Buri its capital.
- 1813 – There was a strategic and military reconciliation between Russia and France.
- 1836 – Spain recognized Mexico’s independence.
- 1847 – America defeats Mexico in the Battle of Sacramento.
- 1885 – The first session of the Indian National Congress took place in Bombay, in which 72 representatives were involved.
- 1896 – Vande Mataram is sung for the first time in the Calcutta session of the Indian National Congress.
- 1906 – South American country Ecuador embraces its second liberal constitution
- 1908 – At least 80 people have died in the earthquake in Messina, Italy.
- 1922 – Ancient country Egypt has gained independence.
- 1928 – C.V. Raman invented the Raman effect for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize.
- 1942 – Robert Sullivan became the first pilot, who completed one hundred times over the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1950 – ‘The Peak District’ became Britain’s first national park.
- 1957 – Soviet Union conducted nuclear tests.
- 1966 – China conducts nuclear tests in Loop Nor.
- 1974 – In Pakistan, a magnitude 6.3 earthquake killed 5200 people.
- 1991 – US President George Bush Sr. announced the ceasefire in the 40-day war of the Gulf of Fars.
- 1991 – Ceasefire imposed in the Gulf.
- 1992 – Signing of Agreement on Cooperation against Terrorism between India and Britain.
- 1994 – Africa delivered Port Enclave Balis Bay to Namibia.
- 1996 – Clinton administration decides not to supply weapons worth $ 356 million to Pakistan.
- 1997 – Many people died in the earthquake in Pakistan.
- 1999 – Colleen Prescott and Andy Allen (UK) made a world record for living in the sky with the help of balloon for 233 hours and 55 minutes.
- 2003 – Namibia President Sam Nejoma arrives in New Delhi on a four day state visit to India.
- 2003 – In the United States, decided to deploy Sky Marshal i.e. security guards in some of Britain’s planes.
- 2003 – Presenting India’s Standing Subsidy Bill in the US Parliament
- 2005 – Million Dollar Baby gets four Oscars.
- 2006 – A case has come to the court in the Philippines for imposing emergency.
- 2008 – Finance Minister P. Chidambaram presented the Economic Review in Parliament.
- 2008 – Uttar Pradesh Governor T.P. Rajeshwar gave his approval of the VAT.
- 2008 – A peace agreement between the government and the United Madhsheel Democratic Front in Nepal.
- 2013 – Aam Aadmi Party formed the government in Delhi with the support of Congress.
Born on 28 February
- 1913 – Pandit Narendra Sharma, famous poet, writer and editor of Hindi.
- 1944 – Rabindra Jain – Famous composer and singer of Indian Hindi cinema
Death on 28th February
- 1572 AD – Rana Uday Singh, ruler of Mewar and father of Maharana Pratap.
- 1904 – General Sir Arthur Power Palmer – was an officer of the Indian Army.
- 1936 – wife of Kamala Nehru, Jawaharlal Nehru.
- 1963 – Dr. Rajendra Prasad (freedom fighter, lawmaker, first president-India).
Important Events and Festivals of February 28
- Shree Uday Singh Rana Smriti Day
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad Memorial Day.
- Shrimati Kamala Nehru Memorial Day.
- National Science Day (Raman Effect Search Day).